DLL or Static Library

Off-Topic Technological Discussion

DLL or Static Library

Postby andreialex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 am

Hello,

As I am starting to create my basic engine I came across a little dilema.
I am thinking to make the whole engine in a DLL ( with the other modules as static library that will be added in the DLL ) and inport that in the game.
Is this a good practice or should I use other approach?

Andrei
andreialex
I Have a Question

Re: DLL or Static Library

Postby L. Spiro » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:53 am

That was one popular approach with the advantage that when you want to update the game you can replace the .DLL and not the whole .EXE.

But in order to take advantage of that advantage you have to export quite a lot from the .DLL, which will be a pain in the ass during development. To reduce this pain you could export only a handful from the .DLL, but then you have a massive .DLL and a tiny .EXE, and then it no longer makes sense to “just replace the .DLL”.

I personally prefer to static-link. Development is easier and it is unlikely I will ever need to send out patches anyway. If I do, then I replace the whole .EXE. That’s not that horrible these days. Using the .DLL method was most common in the days when Internet sucked everywhere, and mostly doesn’t make sense these days.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them.
- L. Spiro 2011
L. Spiro
Site Admin

Return to Social (Technological)