Frequently Asked Questions

General Discussions Regarding L. Spiro Engine

Frequently Asked Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:26 am

#1:
Q: What are your selling points over Unreal Development Kit, which is free and tested?
A: No matter how many assurances I can give towards the stability of my product, people and companies will always have doubts until they start to see a number of games being successfully made with my engine. This is unavoidable, and simply takes time to overcome.
But as for the licensing costs, my main selling point over Unreal Engine 3/Unreal Development Kit is the level of technology. Unreal Engine 3 is considerably less advanced than Frostbite 2 and CryEngine 3. My engine is aimed at this range of technology. If you ask a group of indie developers whether they would take Unreal Development Kit free of charge, or CryEngine 3 for only $100, the results of said poll are unpredictable, which means there is a market for a $100 CryEngine 3.
Additionally, it is possible that I may make a free version of the engine, which would in itself beat Unreal Engine 3/Unreal Development Kit on both the grounds of licensing and technology. Licensing decisions will be made at a later time.

#2:
Q: To whom do you plan to sell the engine?
A: Major companies and indies alike. CryTech is too exclusive with their engine—indies aren’t allowed to have it at all (this changed recently) and companies must pay around $1,000,000 per license, on top of proving a track record of AAA games. My goal is to get that type of technology or better out and into the public without companies having to pay such a huge amount or prove a track record, and without indies being excluded at all. I will try to come up with package deals that are affordable for all levels of studios and indies.

#3:
Q: Are you working alone on this project?
A: In regards to programming, yes.

#4:
Q: Where do you get the artwork/sample models?
A: A lot of free models can be found at http://animium.com/. In addition to those, a prominent artist is supplying me with good resources (art, models, animations, etc.) Finally, I buy high-detail models from Turbo Squid when I need to stress-test my engine or want to showcase super-realistic rendering capabilities.

#5:
Q: Do you accept donated resources?
A: Yes. Quality contributors will get a free engine package when it is done.
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them.
- L. Spiro 2011
L. Spiro
Site Admin

Return to General Related